Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The First Day of School

Our first council meeting started with nominations for students to lead the meeting.

Students played outside at the beginning of the day.

Here we are on day one. I feel pretty useless - our day has been devoted to reviewing the rules, creating teams to do lunch cleanup, and catching up on our summers. Unlike previous first days where I ran everything on a tight schedule, here the kids take charge and time flows at a leisurely pace. The kids are far more interested in each other than they are in me. All around me chaos reigns, but it is a cheerful kind of chaos. I know that at my previous schools this much noise and disorder with no real direction would have made me nervous, but here the kids seem to get along. As eager as I am to "get down to work" and dig into learning projects, I am also relishing being in the background just watching.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the blogging Lauren, I want to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete